Online placement exams are available in nearly every language taught at Northwestern. In most cases, if you plan to continue studying a language you started in high school or that you speak at home, you should plan to take the placement exam in that language. If you have taken the Advanced Placement exam in a language, check here to determine whether your score may have satisfied the language requirement. If you have questions about placement or opportunities in a particular language, write directly to the placement coordinator in the relevant department.
Incoming first-year students must take the language placement exam by July 31. Students admitted after July 31 should contact the placement coordinator for assistance.
Find the placement test information relevant to your language of interest:
Firstly, take the online Chinese placement exam.
You will then be directed to take the validation test online, which comprises a handwritten essay and an oral interview.
For more information, visit the Chinese language placement page.
For questions, contact Prof. Jingjing Ji: email@example.com
To inquire about the Czech placement exam or to arrange for one, contact Prof. Martina Kerlova: firstname.lastname@example.org
To inquire about the Ancient Greek placement exam or to arrange for one, contact Prof. Ryan Platte: email@example.com
The Hindi written placement exam will be offered via Zoom. Please check the Hindi/Urdu language placement exam page for specific dates and times for the exam.
Please email Prof. Rami Nair firstname.lastname@example.org about your intention to take the exam (including the date), and you will receive a Zoom link for the exam. Oral validation exam will be conducted by a separate Zoom appointment. Be sure to bring a picture ID to the test, and have your Northwestern ID handy as well.
The Urdu written placement exam will be offered via Zoom. Please check the Hindi/Urdu language placement exam page for specific dates and times for the exam.
Please email Prof. David Boyk email@example.com about your intention to take the exam (including the date), and you will receive a Zoom link for the exam. Oral validation exam will be conducted by a separate Zoom appointment. Be sure to bring a picture ID to the test, and have your Northwestern ID handy as well.
Take the online Korean placement exam.
For more information, visit the Korean language placement page.
For questions, contact Prof. Ihnhee Kim: Ihnhee.Kim@northwestern.edu
To inquire about the Persian placement exam or to arrange for one, contact the Director of the MENA Language Programs, Prof. Franziska Lys: firstname.lastname@example.org
Take the online Portuguese placement exam.
After they have taken the online Placement text, students will receive an email for a Zoom Interview. They will be reassessed during this interview.
For more information, contact Prof. Ana Thomé Williams: email@example.com
To inquire about the Turkish placement exam or to arrange for one, contact Prof. Oya Topçuoğlu: firstname.lastname@example.org
How DO I TAKE THE PLACEMENT EXAM?
- To begin, you will need a Northwestern University Network ID (NetID) and password to gain access to the testing system.
- After logging in to the system for the first time, you will be asked to complete a short profile, which also requests your student ID number.
- After completing the profile information, you will be presented with a list of available language tests.
- After selecting a placement exam, you will review the testing agreement that affirms your adherence to the Northwestern honor code and then begin the exam. Some departments make a practice exam available which you should feel free to take.
- You must finalize the exam if you wish it to be reviewed by a placement coordinator. After finalizing your exam, you will receive a confirmation number that can either be printed out or written down.
- Access the online placement exams and view the instructions. Access placement results.
- For technical support, please email email@example.com or call 847/491-3101 (9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. CDT).
HOW LONG ARE MY PLACEMENT RESULTS VALID?
Each language department determines the length of validity of its Placement exam.
Students participating in summer, semester or year-long language programs in the U.S. or abroad are generally required to retake the placement exam.
Students should contact the particular department for advising, especially if continuing language study after a break in language study.
Valid 1 year
Chinese, Czech, French, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Urdu.
Valid 1.5 years
Latin (Each case is evaluated individually), Portuguese, Spanish
Valid 2 years
Arabic (if Placement grade is B or above)
Hebrew (if Placement grade is B or above)
Turkish (if Placement grade is B or above)
Valid 4 years
Placement results in Czech, Polish, Turkish, and Russian that demonstrate native or near-native proficiency levels remain valid the entire four years.