Skip to main content

Study and Requirements


Students entering the Judd A. and Marjorie Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences, whether as a first-year or transfer student, need to satisfy the Weinberg College Language Proficiency Requirement.

Before graduation students must demonstrate proficiency in a classical or modern language equivalent to the work covered in a second-year college level course.

As found on Language proficiency may be demonstrated

Consult this Standard Ways to Fulfill the Language Requirement table to find ways to fulfill the Weinberg Language Proficiency Requirement.


1. Pass / No Pass Option in First- and Second-Year (Regular and Intensive) Language Classes

No class in any language at any level which is taken in order to fulfill the WCAS language requirement can be taken Pass / No pass.

For French, German, Italian, Japanese, Latin, and Spanish:

The Council on Language Instruction has established the rule that Pass / No Pass registration is not allowed in any of the first- and second-year language classes in French, German, Italian, Japanese, Latin, and Spanish regardless of whether students take the class in fulfillment of the language requirement or not. As language classes require daily work in and outside of the classroom, this rule is to ensure that all students come prepared to class so that they can progress with the rest of the class.

For Language Classes other than French, German, Italian, Japanese, Latin, and Spanish:

Pass / No Pass registration in first- and second-year language classes may be allowed in language programs other than French, German, Italian, Japanese, Latin, and Spanish (e.g. Arabic, Greek, Hebrew, Portuguese, Russian, etc.) if the student is NOT using the language class to fulfill the six-quarter WCAS language requirement or a language major or minor requirement in Weinberg.

2. Pass / No Pass Option in Language Classes Beyond the First Two Years

If not otherwise stated in the course description, language courses beyond the first two years can be taken Pass / No pass unless the courses are counted towards a language major or minor.The Council urges students in colleges other than Weinberg to check with their advisers to see whether any language course taken for Pass / No pass will satisfy the language requirement of their college or degree, or the requirements for a major or a minor in those colleges.For a description of degree requirements, students can also consult the undergraduate catalog on-line.


Language Proficiency and Disabilities Affecting Language Acquisition: In certain cases of diagnosed and documented disabilities affecting language acquisition, students may apply to seek to satisfy the Weinberg language proficiency requirement by using both language and non-language classes.
In such circumstances, the students should